Re: [OM] Coffee or Tea - Bad Vibrations

Subject: Re: [OM] Coffee or Tea - Bad Vibrations
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:27:47 -0300
LOL ! _ well, there should be some other factors to take into account:
1- Ascunción has a more ( much more ) hot climate then Montevideo, that
might explain why they gather to drink mate on the corner, outside in
the street. You can see Uruguayans drinking mate in the street even in
winter, small groups of friends or couples, sharing the mate around but
not on weekdays but rather on weekends.
2- It is allowed but much less frequent these days to take the mate to work.
3- Students ( third grade ) drink lots of mate while preparing exams.
4- mate in the morning ( hot, of course ) is ok, but one can drink mate
anytime.
5- Yerba Mate in Uruguay comes from Brazil, and it's export quality:
"pura folha" - leaves of yerba mate only - no small sticks mixed; and
therefore much stronger, an expensive. Argentina and Paraguay produce
their own, and I personally don't like it, find it tasteless and the
infusion lasts little compared to what we buy from Brazil. We are more
mate-drinkers like the <Gaúchos> are - a general name to refer to the
people living at Rio Grande do Sul state.
6- Another chapter would be the huge quantities of mate drunk in rural
areas, people who grow cattle and such; who are exposed to hot
temperatures and direct unfiltered sunlight: no frozen Coke there, but
they drink it hot nonetheless.

Anyway, I should admit drinking mate is getting outfashioned in Uruguay,
I guess because of its association to some political culture. During the
eighties and perhaps well into the last years of S.XX it was so
established that I wouldn't find a student at hospital going without his
'mate outfit' _ :^)

Guess what ? - best hot water bottle to pour into the mate are the
Stanley, the green steel ones @  USD 100 each.

Fernando.