[OM] Ken Rockwell has completely lost it

Subject: [OM] Ken Rockwell has completely lost it
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 22:27:24 -0600
I'm rather entertained that Mr. "I can afford to buy anything" has gone
bezerko on film cameras. It's not that I disagree with him, it's just that
he's mixing facts with some wierd form of opinion based on who knows what
naturally occuring endorphines. In essence, I find many of his conclusions
to be the same as mine. How he gets there is typical "Ken Rockwell", but if
you can read past the "bounce off the walls" idiosyncrocies, there are some
real gems of information in his latest "pro-film" rants.

I suppose that I run the risk of being as off-the-wall in regards to the OM
System, but I do recognize the inherent failings and faults of the system
and its inability to be the end-all-be-all solution.  The conveniences of
digital over film in any form of "production environment" is well-known and
accepted fact. I don't think Mr. Rockwell has any axe to grind in that
situation. But what I think he's saying is that for the "hobbiest-landscape
photographer" (which probably accounts for 90% of the camera geeks hanging
out in the forums at DPReview, photonet, etc), there are compelling reasons
to get off the latest-greatest bandwagon. (especially since his pictures
taken with the SD880 achieve a quality level better than what most of us can
achieve with our own talents, anyway--proving that it ain't the camera).

Mr. Rockwell has described, in his unique way, so many of my own
observations, of which, I've been a bit clumsy in describing. I must admit
that my own "journey" somewhat mirrors his. He got me thinking about my two
trips to Isle Royale. The first one I packed two OM bodies, an XA camera and
an assortment of Zuikos. Even though the bodies were the OM-2S and original
OM-4 bodies, I never worried about batteries. Plenty of Provia, Velvia and
Delta 100/400 films filled out the spaces in my backpack.  And yes, I
backpacked--travelling with my camping gear and a week's worth of food.  The
second journey involved the workshop, I shot mostly digital, but carried the
OM-2S along.  Oh, and the laptop computer, battery chargers and the
imprisonment of not being able to stay in places far from electricity. More
than one late-night was spent sneaking down to the laundary, unplugging the
clothes-washer to charge batteries.

Shooting film is liberating. When out on a trip shooting digital, I'm
focused on "what I shot".  When out on a trip shooting film, I'm focused on
"what I will shoot". The mindset it totally different.

AG