Re: [OM] What monitor resolution are you using?

Subject: Re: [OM] What monitor resolution are you using?
From: "John A. Lind" <j-a-lind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 01:45:10 -0500
   Main desktop: 19" 1280x1024 5:4
   Second desktop: 22" 1680x1050 16:10 (has an HD tuner card . . . used
   frequently as a TV).
   Laptop:  14.1" 1440x900 16:10 (used mostly for travel).
   Third "Spare" desktop:  17" 1440x900 16:10 -- stored with it (in
   mothballs in case another goes down -- occasionally powered up for
   updates).
   I plan to get a 19" 1680x1050 16:10 sometime early next year for the
   main desktop . . . and will use its current 19" at work.
   In general . . . and I looked at the trends a couple months ago
   (monitor sales figures) . . . the public is increasingly buying the
   16:10 wide-screens, for both desktop and laptop, and for desktop
   monitors they're rapidly drifting toward the larger 19-20 inch.
   Laptop sales are also taking a significantly increasing segment of the
   personal computing market compared to desktops.  Even so, I still
   prefer using a desktop for sheer computing horsepower.  Laptops cannot
   compare due to the power constraints they have with market demand for
   their high portability.
   1024x768 is becoming the standard for "full size" web images as it can
   fit in a web browser pane if the browser is maximized to full screen
   on the majority of LCD monitors currently being sold.
   -- John
   Mike wrote:

I've been sizing web photos to 800x600 but due to larger monitors and
faster connections becoming common I am going to up the standard
resolution to 1024x768 with a target size of 200kb or less. I think
this should be OK even for those popular short squatty monitors and
notebooks but first I wanted to check to see if indeed this works for
most people. What do you say?

Mike
(first post to the new list. Thanks Thomas!)
 PM