[OM] Re: rokkor on EOS

Subject: [OM] Re: rokkor on EOS
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:03:11 -0400
1) $3-400 might seem like a lot but indeed it's a lot cheaper than the
Canon L (and basically as good) and inline with what the nice 50-ish
f/1.2 lenses from other manufacturers are going for. (Oly, Pentax, et
al)

2) I think it uses the same optical formula as the Noct (minus the front
aspherical).

3) Cogitech = Paul Yates, yes. I don't think he has done anything with
the Oly 20-40 yet, it's got fungus and he hasn't cleaned it and is
scared to send it to someone to clean, from what he has written
elsewhere.

4) I can measure the spacer distance if you want to know, however it's
slightly different for each lens/camera combo. They (the lenses) are
individually collimated so infinity is in a slightly different place for
each (adjustable of course) so a spacer dimension would just be a rough
idea - it could be too thick or too thin, slightly.

5) Rokkor-EOS conversions - sometimes an M42 mount is used as a basis,
if there's enough room to machine down the lens itself by the .5 - 1mm
needed. I used an M42 mount and removed the flange, leaving just the EOS
bayonet then machined out the inside of that, and nested the Minolta
mount bayonet inside it for the 35/1.8 conversion. Usually the limiting
factor is how far the rear element sticks out the back - too far, and it
will hit the mirror on a fullframe EOS camera. Some lenses are a
non-issue this way (usually teles for example).

-Ed