[OM] Re: Macs r us

Subject: [OM] Re: Macs r us
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:33:55 -0500
Ken Norton wrote:
>  >The problem is that the new MacBook has neither a FW port nor a card
>> slot.  Ken's budget doesn't extend to a MacBook Pro.
>

> Actually, if I go with a refurb, I can get a MacBook Pro.  Karen and I spent
> substantial time yesterday comparing the MacBooks to PC laptops.  By the
> time you get a pc with the performance characterists I need, the price is
> about the same as the Mac.  Really, it comes down to about a $400 premium
> for wearing Apple jewelry.  My only concern is being able to run Nikon Scan
> and it looks like there is a Mac version of that.

Ken,

That's a great plan.  I'm not sure if Apple offers the AppleCare
extended warranty on their refurbs, but if they do, get it.  It does
take chunk out of the overall budget, but it's a very useful warranty.

I had a manufacturing flaw in the top cover (keyboard surrround) of my
15" C2D MBP where the power button kept sinking down.  They replaced it
for free.

Last month, I finally brought it back in since the backlight (non-LED)
was failing (looked like "mold" around the edges).  They also replaced
that, which would have cost me almost more than the laptop was worth if
I had been forced to buy it.

Aside from those two glitches, I treat her like a baby, and she takes
very good care of me.  We're a Mac family -- 2 G5's, 2 G4's, MBP, an
Intel Mini, an old SE30 and my original 128k Mac.  Plus three Newtons
and two iPods.

Yes, I have a homebuilt XP box for Windows stuff.  And I run
Parallels/Bootcamp/XP on the MBP as well.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon