[OM] Re: Yashica 1000mm lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Yashica 1000mm lens
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:16:46 -0400
There are multiple types of Cassegrain telescope designs but only two
that have survived within the affordable consumer market... the Maksutov
and the Schmidt-Cassegrain.  For telescopes of 90mm diameter or less the
overwhelming design choice is a Maksutov which uses a spherical primary
and a very thick meniscus corrector lens.  This is your typical camera
mirror lens design which (if it's done correctly) can have the secondary
mirror simply be an aluminized spot on the back side of the Maksutov
corrector lens.  The Maksutov corrector is easy to make in diameters up
to 90mm.  Above 90mm the cost equation swings toward the
Schmidt-Cassegrain design which also uses a spherical primary mirror but
with a Schmidt corrector plate in place of the Maksutov.  The Schmidt
corrector plate is thin and nearly flat.  It is not easy to make but
less costly and troublesome than a Maksutov in diameters over 90mm.
Secondary mirrors are also more complicated than a Maksutov since they
require mounting in an adjustable cell on the back side of the corrector
plate. One of the reasons that large Maksutovs are expensive is the
difficulty of casting a large, thick piece of glass with no bubbles.
You can buy a Maksutov up to 7" in diameter from Questar but, if you
know that name, you know you will pay dearly for it.

Celestron built its business in the 60's selling military grade
Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes to the military.  Between themselves and a
Japanese lens maker they figured out how to automate the grinding and
polishing of a Schmidt corrector lens which had heretofore been done by
hand.  If fact, it was considered a major breakthrough in lens
manufacture when Bernhardt Schmidt figured out how to do it even
manually in 1930.  The cross section of a Schmidt corrector plate has a
sort of sinusoidal pattern from center to edge so you might appreciate
how difficult is would be to create that when normal grinding and
polishing methods produce a spherical shape.  The curve is also
extremely flat and difficult to see with the eye.  Then the Vietnam war
started winding down and Celestron's military revenues started down with
it.  They then reinvented the company as a low cost provider of high
quality consumer telescopes.  They did it by utilizing the terrific cost
advantage they had on the Schmidt optics (low cost corrector plate and
spherical primary mirror) and also by value re-engineering of all the
mechanics of the tube, mount and tripod structure.  Early Celestrons are
made of very thick wall aluminum tube with heavy, machined aluminum
cells for the optics which are screwed onto the tube.  Later Celestrons
(such as my 1974 C8) have lighter weight cells made from castings with
minimal machining and a rolled steel tube that's epoxied into the cells.
  Very rigid, lighter weight and is still perfectly well together after
34 years.

Then along came Meade after Celestron's patents expired.  They produce
very similar designs with many accessories that are fairly
interchangeable between the brands.  The also produce very good stuff
and are very competitive.  But both companies also produce some very low
cost stuff for the Christmas market.  Avoid it.

So, no matter who you buy from you are likely to get a Maksutov design
at 90mm diameter or less and a Schmidt-Cassegrain over 90mm.  At 1000mm
focal length and above you're talking about f/10 (usually) optics.  They
are true telescopes with secondary mirrors sized for visual use...
meaning a small image circle.  Probably OK on an E-body but with some
evident vignetting on 35mm size.  But it will be equipped with a finder
and means for sturdy mounting and have options for removal of the visual
back and replacment with a larger focusing tube and T-mount for a camera.

I'm not sure about Meade but Celestron has built some purely
photographic mirror lenses in the past which you can sometimes find on
ebay.  These are characterized by shorter focal lengths (about 750mm
IIRC) and with larger secondary mirrors to combat vignetting.

Chuck Norcutt