[OM] Re: IMG: Nathan's PAW 42: a two-day walk around Madrid

Subject: [OM] Re: IMG: Nathan's PAW 42: a two-day walk around Madrid
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:55:48 +1100
Actually not 'Stained Glass' - technically that refers to panels
where at least some of the glass elements have been painted and the
paint fused on in a kiln (it's a powdered glass paint and acts like a
transparent enamel on the base glass). A difficult technique often
used in church work but a bit pricey for other uses. Panels with just
coloured glasses should be called leadlight (or Tiffany/foil if that
technique is used). However it has become a common usage in the US to
call it all Stained Glass - an annoying error as they are very
different things.
I did some quick research and discovered that Miró did at least
design glass panels, some quite wonderful (brilliant use of blue
ground). I was delighted as I though that his work would style would
make good glass - especially the bright colour and thin black lines
(or rods in sculptures).
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx