[OM] Re: Olympus ED 50-200mm f2.8/3.5 zoom

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus ED 50-200mm f2.8/3.5 zoom
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:30:06 +0200
I can chime in from a different perspective: My colleague and I have
done some comparisons to compare it to canon equipment.

Specifically, I am a big fan of Canon's EF 200mm f/2.8L prime lens -
optically one of the most perfect lenses you will ever get, and
beautifully built - very very compact, made of metal. Wide open, the
Canon lens out-resolves the almost AA-filter-less sensor of the EOS 1D
MkIIN right in the image corner, to the extent of causing moire
artifacts in bird's feathers. It is unbelievably phenomenal, I havenever
seen a lens that consistently good.

In our testing, it seems that, wide open, the ZD zoom (50-200, non-SWD
vesion) is very much a match for this legendary Canon prime. We could
not really distinguish any meaningful differences in terms of resolving
power (the ZD lens was on an E-3).

The two things I do not like of the 50-200, is that it's quality of
bokeh does not match the Canon's, and, though the Olympus lens is very
solidly built, I do not like the huge amount of extension when changing
focal lengths - it really becomes a big, ugly lens in my opinion. I like
compact, solid lenses that do not have (much, if any) physical
extension.

But optically - wow, what a lens, I don't think Canon has a zoom that
can match it, since one of their best primes is only a hair sharper.

You will be very happy.