[OM] Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 05/10/2008: a question for you birders

Subject: [OM] Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 05/10/2008: a question for you birders
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:53:21 +0200
Cc: Leica Users Group <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Picture a Day discussion group <pad@xxxxxxxxxxx>
This may be a bit late, but it is definitely a Hoopoe ("hoo-poo")
indeed. They are quite common here in Johannesburg (South Africa), and
are even used for example in the University of Johannesburg's (UJ) logo.

The crest on the head is beautiful when fully opened when they are
excited or alerted (in a similar way to how a Kakapo's crest opens up):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Upupa_epops_1_Luc_Viatour.jpg

They nest in a hole in a tree stump, or often even in the ground - their
nests smell incredibly foul to warn off predators. Their flight is quite
unique, erratic and slow, like a big butterfly.

Anyway, I am not a birder at all, just wanted to chime in to say we see
these guys here all the time.