[OM] Re: [OT] A useful weather link for the US

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] A useful weather link for the US
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 06:16:43 +0100
Hi Frank!

It's good to hear from you, even if I don't agree with all that you
say :-)

The lovely satellite views of the weather are of course useful, but
only for the next few hours.  When we have a weather system over the
UK, we use the MOMIDS terminal (military dissemination system, I
think) to watch its progress and how it will affect us.  But I am
talking about planning for the next day, and perhaps a day or 2 after
that.

I do think that our Met Office discourages individual met officers
from making their own interpretations of a synoptic situation.  Our
planning forecast for the next day looks remarkably similar to the one
produced by the Met Office on their website, the F215 (forecast
weather below 10,000ft).  This leads me to believe that there is
centralised forecasting based largely on computer modelling.

I understand how convenient it is to have an automatic system
processing the vast amount of data that is now available, Frank, but
we need humans to interpret for the nuances of each region, people who
have experience of the oddities of each region.  I have been watching
forecasting now for over 30 years and, although we pilots have always
been rude (in a friendly fashion) about forecasters and their
products, the results now are significantly worse than about 150 to 20
years ago.  This coincides with the comments by my chief forecaster
(when I had a team of 6 or 7 working for me) who told me that the Met
Office wanted to reduce costs by reducing the number of people working
there ...

Chris