[OM] Re: [OT] A useful weather link for the US

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] A useful weather link for the US
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:01:18 +0100
Thanks, Chuck.

I don't know how accurate you have found the forecast, but I am less
and less confident in their accuracy in Europe.  You see the Met
Office seems to be relying more and more on computer modelling to
interpret the current situation and trends.  This sort of works for
regions or larger areas, but is useless for smaller areas which are
normally affected by local conditions, topography or water.  I have
found over the last year or 2 that I can make more useful forecasts
than the automated product of the Met Office and I suspect that the
NOAA is no different.  Back in the days when we had more people
observing and forecast nothing was perfect but we had a better chance
of knowing what might happen tomorrow, or (perhaps) the next day.  But
to pretend that they can forecast up to 5 days ahead for local
conditions is just loopy ...

... but I suspect that I have rehearsed this point of view (rant)
before on the List, perhaps even to you, Chuck ;-)

Chris

On 21 Sep 2008, at 14:42, <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>