[OM] Re: New EKTAR Film provides finest grain of any color negative film

Subject: [OM] Re: New EKTAR Film provides finest grain of any color negative film
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 22:14:35 -0700
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Tracked down a smidge more data?on the Koduck web site.? Looks like it will
> be a "Velvia" of neg film with more exposure latitude. Wonder how skin tones
> will be rendered.

Drat! There goes another favorite Moose rant ---

With color neg film, the results depend completely on what happens
between the standardized processing and viewing as a positive image. A
few years ago, I sent two rolls of the same film with similar subjects
to two different Kodick processing options. I seem to recall it was
160NC. The prints from Koduck Royal service through a serious photo shop
were relatively well balanced, with moderate contrast and saturation.
Those sent to Koduck through a drugstore were entirely different, with
high contrast, wildly blown highlights and shadows and color saturation
that almost reached out, grabbed and shook me.

With a standardized work flow, their films will perform as advertised
relative to each other. With any auto color, contrast, exposure, etc
controls set, they may or may not look very different from each other.

If used as I generally do, with ICC color profiles, the color/tonal
output is all very close to the same. The only difference is in the
grain/accutance.
> They are replacing the UC 100. Chuck used it on his OO shots. It scans well
> and is quite saturated but skin tones are not bad either. I am not sure I am
> happy they canned that emulsion--still have some in the fridge.

I have only one roll in the fridge. I'll bet the new film is mostly a
renaming of the old one, with modest, incremental changes. If I recall
correctly, UC100 was similarly related to Supra 100?
> The Porta 160VC isn't too shabby either. Seems odd to have all this new
> emulsion activity. Haven't even tried the new new Portra 400vc yet.

I've got a roll of the intermediate-new in an OM-1, but not all used
yet. I may need to get out more.

Moose