[OM] Re: Trip to Valle de Bravo- winter home of the Monarch

Subject: [OM] Re: Trip to Valle de Bravo- winter home of the Monarch
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 17:06:21 -0700
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:

> It's been a very  long time coming, but prepared this for the list. We stayed
> at Finca Enyhe for about a week, not too far from one site where the Monarchs
> over winter in fir forests. We were on horse back for about 8 hours per day.
I think that would have done me a serious injury.
> There is a cooking school at the farmette and one can do the Valle de Bravo
> "light" ride with riding in an the AM only and cooking classes in the PM.

Saved!

> The lunches and dinners were nearly always an A+. If we dismounted at the
> Finca, Louis would take your bar order immediately upon dismounting and bring
> it to the pool if so desired. Not so bad.

Better and better.

> We happened across the "Lilly Lady" presumptively transporting them home for
> the holiday.
>
> http://www.zoto.com/gordon9213/other_sizes/#2630c7557cabe7118800489c9146af49

Now that is just one of the finest photographs I've seen. Reminds me of
Diego Rivera's lily paintings, but is so much more human and personal.
Her expression is just perfect -  not sad, perhaps not quite happy, so
serene. I think that's what real saints look like, quiet, content,
carrying peace around with them.

I'm sure I prefer the blurred background of my version, the increased
highlight detail and greater detail in hair, shawl, etc. I'm not sure
I've got the face to my satisfaction yet.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/MikeG/Mexico&image=2630c7557cabe7118800489c9146af49r760niii.jpg>

> ---This formation is known as the "Three Kings." I don't remember it being as
> hazy as depicted. Oly XA portra 400VC
>
> http://www.zoto.com/gordon9213/other_sizes/#b8537bd6363296ed37a98514096cd284

Our visual systems do a great job of compensating. One has to
consciously switch into something like "literal mode" to see how much
haze and loss of contrast there is in a subject like this.  There's
another Moose who came up with the idea of a combined C. Pol. and 81a
filter for this sort of situation.
<http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/lenses/filters/thk/PRD_85068_3133crx.aspx>

This Moose does it in his semi-dark room.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/MikeG/Mexico&image=b8537bd6363296ed37a98514096cd284niii.jpg>

Moose