[OM] Re: IMG: Abstract crow with 135/3.5

Subject: [OM] Re: IMG: Abstract crow with 135/3.5
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:01:03 +0100
Nice work, Peter, and good to see you back in the fold!  As far as the focus
problem is concerned, I can offer a couple of pieces of advice based on my
experiences using OM glass on E-bodies:

Though I have not used a KatzEye, I did try an aftermarket focus screen in
an E-1.  The screen has a split image focusing aid, just like an OM 1-3
screen (i.e. without the microsprisms).  Manual focusing is much easier -
but metering becomes inaccurate with all lenses (even DZ), and by varying
amounts depending on the lens. Flash metering is pretty much impossible.

I have also used focus confirmation chips on E-410 and E-3 (the version I
had is not compatible with E-1), and they do work.  They are sensitive (as
they should be) so it is very easy to focus through the in-focus point with
a manual lens (just as with MF cameras).  The difference is that, unlike
with a split image where you can see the image coming into focus, with the
focus confirmation chip it's either in or out of focus, there is no "nearly
there" indication.  A further handicap is that there is no indication of
which focus point is the one triggering the in-focus indicator.  The E-410
itslef will indicate which of the three focus points is active, by way of a
red LED.  The focus confirmation chip does not, which is hardly helpful
(though I suppose I could have manually selected only the central focus
point).

Knowing what I now know, I would use liveview. The E-3, on the other hand,
is much much easier to use with MF lenses, as the VF is noticably bigger and
brighter.

I have learned the hard way that there was a reason for Olympus to be so
reluctant to release the OM adaptor!

--
Piers