[OM] Re: I hate cshool! [was Seriously who can afford one of

Subject: [OM] Re: I hate cshool! [was Seriously who can afford one of
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 20:14:14 -0700
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [OM] Re: I hate cshool! [was Seriously who can afford one of
>
> I was very pleased when I found out that Richard Feynman... said
> that was
> how all his discoveries were made. He visualized it in his head first,
> then figured out how to do the math to show it to others and
> experiments
> to verify it.

My favourite Feynman story (from the autobiography "Surely You're
Joking, Mr. Feynman") was when, as a youth, he got a job in a radio
repair shop. One day, he was having a difficult time, and was sitting
down in front of a non-working radio, visualizing the signal path in
his head, when his boss came in and said, "Why are you just sitting
there? Get to work!"

Feynman retorted, "I am working, I'm THINKING," then reached in, moved
one wire, and the radio burst into music. From that day on, his boss
would bring people by and say in awe, "Look! That guy there, he fixes
radios by THINKING!"

That book is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to anyone who is interested in the way
genius works. Plus it's good fun.

:::: Why do they feed eggs to a dog to make it's coat shiny? My parka
is dull and dingy, and I eat eggs. ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, http://www.EcoReality.org ::::