[OM] Re: Time-lapse photography

Subject: [OM] Re: Time-lapse photography
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 20:16:25 -0400
320MB may be a SmartMedia limitation.  CF cards are of two types: either
less than or equal to 2GB or greater then 2GB.  2GB is the break point
since that is the limiting size of a disk formatted as "FAT16" (16 bit
entries in the File Allocation Table).  Disks/cards larger than 2GB must
be formatted at FAT32 (32 bit entries which, theoretically at least,
takes you into the terrabyte realm.).  Based on the age of the E-20 it
likely doesn't know how to format or read FAT32 cards but it *should* be
able to handle 2GB with FAT16.  But that doesn't mean it was actually
implemented that way.  To be sure, stick the 2GB CF card in the camera
and format it.  Then take it to your computer's card reader and check
the disk size.

While they may exist, I don't know of any DSLR that has a built-in
intervalometer like the E-20 and my Minolta A1.  Those things seem to be
the province of the high-end DSLR-like P&S cameras.  I don't know why.
For Canon DSLRs you can buy a separate remote timer like this Canon
TC-80N3 for $137
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/164271-REG/Canon_2477A002_Timer_Remote_Controller_TC_80N3.html>
or this Chinese ebay knock-off for much, much less at $48 with shipping
<http://cgi.ebay.com/TIMER-REMOTE-SHUTTER-FOR-CANON-EOS-40D-5D-30D-TC-80N3_W0QQitemZ250285959468QQihZ015QQcategoryZ64345QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
However, the TC-80N3 only seems to work for the single and double digit
canon bodies and not the 400D that has been proposed.

Here's a wireless remote for Olympus gear.  I don't know anything about
it other than it looks expensive.  I don't know what Oly sells.
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Timer-Remote-for-Olympus-E-1-E-3-E-300-C-8080_W0QQitemZ170252034295QQihZ007QQcategoryZ64345QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

I see one other potential problem with your plan if you really intend to
run for a couple of years.  You need at least one identical backup
camera as well as backup AC power supplies, CF cards, intervalometer and
maybe other things.  Something may well fail in the long term and you
need to have a ready replacement that's going to operate identically.

Chuck Norcutt