[OM] Re: Chuck's 'round-the-country tour - Yellowstone

Subject: [OM] Re: Chuck's 'round-the-country tour - Yellowstone
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 21:16:23 -0700
http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/E%20OR/Oct07/FtRock054.jpg

Indeed this is Lake County route 5-13 from Silver Lake north to Ft Rock which
can be seen to the left of the "hwy" about 8-10 miles in the distance. Just
left of Ft Rock is another volcanic outcrop barely visible in this shot where
the oldest "shoes" in N. America were found in a cave. Sandals dated to about
8000bp. Ft Rock shows evidence of a shoreline. Not many years ago it was an
island is a large inland lake so the climate then was much better suited to
human habitation. Paulina Pk is on the horizon left and part of a massive and
very recent series of eruptions. The next in the series will likely take out
Sun River and Bend if the natural progression is followed.

This shot is straight out of the E510, no post processing other than a resize.
14mm, f11, 1/2500, ISO800 which was an operator error as there is a lot of
noise. I like what you did with PTlens Moose and with the dull foreground. The
vignetting accentuates the polarizer effect and taking it out of the equation
really helps. However the gradient tool takes the punch out with the result
that it appears no polarizer was used at all! I'm thinking the only real
solution is to fine tune the effect by rotating the filter itself at the time
of the shot. Still not totally satisfying.

http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/E%20OR/May07/E36-640x480.jpg

Here we are looking east down the Frenchglen Rd to Steens Mt about 60mi/100km
distant. Harney County is about the size of Belgium and has a population of
7500. OM4 and the 24mm I'm thinking since the CP doesn't fit the 18mm and
that's what i had with me. This sky seem to be more even probably because of
the cloud cover. I've been meaning to get an Album together but just haven't
had the time yet. ...maybe after our fall trip.

By the way Chuck if the weather is crappy on the coast you might consider route
97 down the east side connecting to I-5 at Mt Shasta. I much prefer it to the
I-5 knuckle biter down through the Willamette Valley and over the Siskiyous in
the rain at 70mph between two semi's. Take scenic hwy26 (or 20) to Bend then
stay on 97 all the way to Shasta. Crater Lake is a short side trip off 97.

Mike