[OM] Re: 70-300mmm

Subject: [OM] Re: 70-300mmm
From: "David D Miller" <olympus-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 11:13:56 +0100
> Now I have a  "small" walkaround  kit of E3 7-14 12-60 and 70-300 which
> covers well if not bulky.

Given the choice, I always grab the 50-200mm lens ahead of the 70-300mm.  My
excuses are that the extra brightness is more useful than longer reach and
that it's better sealed against the British weather - but it's probably more
habit than anything else.  However, my 50-200mm lens is being sent off for a
service (the aperture occasionally jams), so the newer zoom will see more
use over the next few weeks - and we'll see which is favourite after that.

My "small" walkaround kit is a single body and lens: usually either an E-20,
or an OM body with the 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 lens.  When weight is really
important, I'll take an XA or Mju instead.

I find that restricted kit concentrates the mind on the job in hand - and
being limited to 36 shots likewise.  My Scouts were using an assortment of
digital cameras at camp last week: The older ones were using SLRs with 4Gb
cards, and produced thousands of photos - very few of them worth keeping.
The younger kids, using inexpensive Camedia C-150 and 16Mb cards, managed to
make every shot count.