[OM] Re: iView =>MS Expression Media => Aperture

Subject: [OM] Re: iView =>MS Expression Media => Aperture
From: Rob Harrison <robhar54@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 17:50:24 -0700
I'd been a die-hard fan of iView for quite some time, and I (really)
tried to follow the path to MS Expression Media. For a long while I
stuck with iView, mostly from sheer orneriness. Then I purchased a
copy of Office 2008 close enough to EM2's debut that I got the upgrade
for free, so have been playing with that a bit. One of the things I do
like about iView and EM is that it allows you to easily see, sort and
manipulate both folders in the Finder, and "Catalog Sets" of one's own
devising. So I can keep my folders of images grouped by film roll (or
camera/shooting month, for the digital-only ones) and still group them
by project in the Catalog Sets. One of the downsides of this
capability though, is that through lack of discipline on my part, in
the process of transferring overlapping image folders from computer to
computer over the last four years duplicates of images and slight
variations of images have proliferated. Such that now I'd guess my
library is easily twice the size it needs to be (~75GB!), and I can't
seem to take the time to get everything sorted.

I also have a copy of Lightroom 1.5, but never quite mastered the
interface, and so didn't end up importing more than a smattering of
images into it.

Then I downloaded a trial copy of Aperture 2. So far, I find that by
far the easiest to use and most powerful. There are now plug-ins for
Noise Ninja and PTLens. I can do 90% of what I need to do within
Aperture, and the Smart Folders WAY simplify keeping track of images.
Plus it has that "do not import duplicates" check box! Still waiting
though, for e-420 and 520 RAW support.... But I'm going to migrate to
Aperture.

Rob in Seattle