[OM] Re: putting together a "souvenir" system

Subject: [OM] Re: putting together a "souvenir" system
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:45:20 -0700
Resend of a post from two days ago that bounced, rather than merely
being delayed.
William Sommerwerck wrote:
> This is likely premature, but it probably can't hurt.
>
> Several years ago, being nearly dead-broke, I was obliged to sell off
> my OM system.
What a shame! I hope some are still floating around the list. :-)
> The OM is unquestionably one of the great 35mm cameras. Olympus's
> attempt to create an "SLR Leica" was largely successful. (It's richly
> comic for Olympus to play up the extreme compactness of their smaller
> DSLRs. Their writer has likely never seen an OM and its lenses.)

That was certainly true. I was in a shop with OM-1 & 50/1.4 around my
neck trying out an E-420 with the 25/2.8 pancake lens. The body is a bit
bigger, but not much, and the lens is quite a bit smaller, although also
slower. Very comparable packages in terms of size and weight.

I don't think the argument about Oly abandoning their commitment to
small (D)SLRs holds up since the E-410.
> I've switched to Canon, so there's no practical need to retain any OM
> equipment. But I have a strong attachment to the OM system, both
> sentimental and technological.

Canon is my primary equipment, but I still shoot some film in OMs
> I'd very much like to put together a "memorial" system, useful for
> general photography, that could be tucked into my tiny 35-year-old
> carrying case *. Specifically, I'd like to round up a 24/2, 50/2
> macro, and 85/2, in really good shape.

My idea of a memorial system would not include the later, bigger, faster
lenses. The original, small lenses seem more in keeping with the
original concept to me. The 85/2 would work for me, as it was relatively
early and started essentially as a differently formulated 100/2.8

24/2.8, 50/1.4, 100/2.8 and 200/5 with a plain old OM-1 (black) would be
my candidate. If I had a 28/2.8, I might sub that for the 24/2.8, but my
28mm is f2.

I have to admit that I found shooting with the OO frustrating. The
vibration is a real problem with the 100, 135 and 200mm lenses and for
macro with the 50/3.5. Somehow, a five pound bag of lead shot doesn't
fit in a light compact kit.  :-)    A more practical kit for my use
would have a 4 series body. When the roll of film in my OM-1 is done,
the next roll will likely go into an OM-4.

Moose