[OM] Re: Couple of Big Foot shots

Subject: [OM] Re: Couple of Big Foot shots
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:31:52 -0700
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Big Foot (Cosina Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO-Lanthar for OM) has been fun to use.
>  The clematis was part of an experiment (n=2) to see if the shot or bean
> filled bean bag could match MLU+ aperture prefire on the 4T. The lack of
> tripod mount can make it quite subject to vibration when at higher mags.
> Fortunately the usually zealous zephyrs quite uncharacteristically  quieted
> during
Have you heard of the Wimberly Plamp?
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/205330-REG/Wimberley_PP100_Plamp_Articulating_Arm.html>
(Mine has a blue head.) I think it might be quite useful for many of the
sorts of shots you seem to like to take.

Here are a couple of shots, both full frame and full pixel images, taken
with and without the Plamp.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous&image=1_MG_4483.jpg>

It has other uses, in addition to holding subjects steady, but I haven't
tried that. A bit odd to use, as the long extension magnifies any
vibration in the tripod, even a pretty solid CF tripod. So one must wait
a moment or two for that to die out after letting go of the camera if
the tripod is the only thing to clamp to. I used mirror pre-fire with a
wired remote.
> the timer countdown and enabled a comparison---I really couldn't tell and
> both seemed to make a substantial improvement.
>
> I know Moose often doesn't like OOF foregrounds, but perhaps one here will be
> an exception.

I think I've got a bad rap here ... There are SOME OOF foregrounds I
don't particularly like. Depends on subject, composition, etc.
> Portra 160 VC  clematis F5.6 1/15
>
> http://www.zoto.com/gordon9213/other_sizes/#be4dac563cbebe946480993866cf8305
>
> http://www.zoto.com/gordon9213/other_sizes/#780c15bf7b84fafddd02c9a0fc78a693-6fc36

Hard to tell precisely, with the different subjects. Seems the second
one isn't quite as sharp, but that could be down to several factors.
both sharp enough for anything short of huge prints.

Moose