[OM] putting together a "souvenir" system

Subject: [OM] putting together a "souvenir" system
From: "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 15:25:51 -0700
This is likely premature, but it probably can't hurt.

Several years ago, being nearly dead-broke, I was obliged to sell off my OM
system. (The only significant items remaining are a champagne OM-4T body, the
280 flash, the auto-focus 35-70 lens, and a complete set of focusing screens,
mostly unused.)

The OM is unquestionably one of the great 35mm cameras. Olympus's attempt to
create an "SLR Leica" was largely successful. (It's richly comic for Olympus to
play up the extreme compactness of their smaller DSLRs. Their writer has likely
never seen an OM and its lenses.)

I've switched to Canon, so there's no practical need to retain any OM
equipment. But I have a strong attachment to the OM system, both sentimental
and technological.

I'd very much like to put together a "memorial" system, useful for general
photography, that could be tucked into my tiny 35-year-old carrying case *.
Specifically, I'd like to round up a 24/2, 50/2 macro, and 85/2, in really good
shape.

The problem (outside of the fact I don't immediately have the money), is that
these lenses (at least at KEH) are rather pricey (at least those in EX or
better condition). Isn't there supposed to be a glut of 35mm lenses?

I probably won't have the money until the middle of next year, but I'd be
curious to hear any thoughts on this subject. Is anyone else out there doing
anything like this?

PS: If anyone wants the focusing screens, they're still available as a complete
set.

* When I worked for Bendix, I carried a _complete_ OM system in a Really Tiny
case, one that today would hold little more than a high-res DSLR _body_ (sans
lens).