[OM] DPReview "Olympus/Panasonic announce Micro Four Thirds"

Subject: [OM] DPReview "Olympus/Panasonic announce Micro Four Thirds"
From: "montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx" <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:39:21 +1000
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08080501microfourthirds.asp

"Olympus / Panasonic announce Micro Four Thirds

Olympus and Panasonic have announced a new, mirrorless format / lens
mount based on (and compatible with) Four Thirds. The Micro Four Thirds
system uses the same sensor size (18 x 13.5 mm) but allows slimmer
cameras by removing the mirror box and optical viewfinder. The new
format has three key technical differences: (1) roughly half the flange
back distance (distance from mount to the sensor), (2) a smaller
diameter lens mount (6 mm smaller) and (3) two additional contact points
for lens-to-body communication (now 11 points). Removing the mirror
mechanism allows this shorter flange back distance, meaning lenses for
the new mount can be considerably smaller than current Four Thirds
designs. The format will require framing to be carried out using Live
View on either the LCD monitor or an EVF. Existing Four Thirds lenses
can be used on Micro Four Thirds cameras using an adapter. Neither
company is as yet making product announcements (we expect some more news
in this respect closer to Photokina) ..." [it continues, quite
substantially]

Discuss.

(I had some immediate reaction to it, but they'd be based on
insufficient knowledge and possibly, misunderstanding, and so I thought
wise to let you lot have a go it and listen in instead)

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz