[OM] Re: IMG: More Insects

Subject: [OM] Re: IMG: More Insects
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 23:08:07 -0500
Dean,

Thanks for looking, and for your nice words.  This was purely by accident.
I was trying to get some in-focus shots of the moth, for ID purposes, and
did not notice the small butterfly.  From observing the visitors at other
times, I would agree it is some form of Skipper, but I'm no expert.

Without autofocus and auto exposure, I would never be able to get the shots
that I posted, though I would be able to get better shots with a wider
selection of lenses.  At this time, the 14-54 is the only autofocus lens I
have for my E-510, so drastic cropping is necessary to get the closeups.  If
the economy ever improves, I would be tempted to get a longer FL autofocus
to improve my image quality.  For now, I'm just have fun learning the system
and the complexities of PhotoShop processing.

As for humming birds at a feeder, at our house the female rules the area.
I've put up a second feeder some distance away from the first, but it is
ignored as the female challenges any other's right to approach "her" feeder.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA