[OM] Re: [OT] Yard Sale find - Rollei 35

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Yard Sale find - Rollei 35
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:01:54 -0400
Hi Bob,

That just means you have a later model. I forget exactly when but Rollei
shifted production from Germany to Singapore (though I want to say that the
lens components were still German in origin). The overall designs were still
all Germany no matter where the factory was.

The Tessar is regarded as #2 to the Sonnar but in practical use I doubt you
would see any difference. There is a Xenar version but they are much less
common and not as good optically.

I shot a roll with the one I had mostly to confirm everything was up to
snuff before letting it back into the pool. If I remember right it ended up
going to China. It was tempting for a few minutes to keep it but I snagged
an XA and couldn't really keep both.

Your particular example looks very nice and the presentation box will help
its price. Don't write off the flash until you have tried some white vinegar
on the mess in the battery box. I have brought back many a flash that way. A
few Qtips and a bit of "sizzle" later and they were back in business (just
don't breath to deep when working on them). Oh and it helps to polish the
contacts with a bit of Brasso. They won't have the chrome plating anymore
but they should still work.

Good luck, Dan S.