[OM] Re: 7-14 Price

Subject: [OM] Re: 7-14 Price
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:41:11 -0700
> From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> When I had the opportunity to use NSURIT's 7-14, there were a few
> things
> that jumped out at me:
> 1. Toes.  How in the world do you keep your toes out of the picture?

Use a tripod. :-)

> 2. Leveling. Keeping horizons level--especially on the shortened 4/3
> frame is impossible without a grid.

I have a little three-axis level that slips into the hot shoe. Got it
from Porters, I think. Works like a charm.

But also, I've gotten pretty darn good at estimating level on my grab
shots. And remember the old rule-of-thumb, if you can't make something
exactly right, make it very obvious that you did it wrong on purpose.
I very often use high or low angles to distort perspective, which
distracts from any horizontal problems.

> 3. HUGE, bulbious front lens element.  That puppy is sure to make
> you nervous around children.

You mean like these kids?
        http://www.ecoreality.org/wiki/Image:Maya_and_Shakti.jpg

That was a grab shot. Simply put the lens as close as you dare to
something that isn't likely to lick it or slobber on it. Or take your
chances with spit to get a truly unusual point of view.

> 4. Sharpness. Makes all other lenses dull by comparison.

Life is too short for dull lenses. Check out my most recent cover,
done with that lens:
        http://store.ic.org/catalog/images/CMAG139_357x462_LR.jpg

> 5. How do you pack it?  The lens is big and heavy.

Leave your other lenses home. See #4 -- it's so sharp, just crop the
centre 1% and you've got a 1000mm lens. :-)

> 6. How do I justify one to the CDFO?

New car? Trip to Bermuda? Diamond necklace? Divorce? :-)

Or how about "Teach her to use it," then get her published. Once she
sees her name next to a photo in a magazine, you can do whatever you
want with equipment. Example:
        http://www.ecoreality.org/wiki/images/a/ac/Chicken_Camper.pdf

Most (if not all) of those photos were done with that lens. Art
directors love it because they can crop like crazy.

This lens is the reason I got into the E-System. It is magic.

:::: Quite clearly, our task is predominantly metaphysical, for it is
how to get all of humanity to educate itself swiftly enough to
generate spontaneous behaviors that will avoid extinction. -- R.
Buckminster Fuller, _Synergetics_ ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality http://www.EcoReality.org ::::