[OM] Re: IMG: Grab Shot Made With Short Notice

Subject: [OM] Re: IMG: Grab Shot Made With Short Notice
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 21:50:50 -0500
Your (normally lurking) list entomologist would like to second Mark's
recent note to Jim:

Jim, if it is of sufficient interest to you both, or just your wife (the
spotting and identifying), I have heard good things about the following
binoculars:

<http://www.pentax.jp/english/imaging/binoculars/short/papilio>

    Good things?  I recently bought a set of the 6.5 X 21 Papilio binocs
from B & H
(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/376568-REG/Pentax_62215_6_5x21_Papilio_Compact_Porro.html).

I brought a friend to a cranberry bog in NW Wisconsin last weekend, and
we both marvelled at the ability of these wonderful binocs to bring a
tiny butterfly up very, very close.  We also examined the details of the
insect-eating sundew plant, a little guy I'd guess was 3/4" high.  It
was like having a stereo dissecting scope along.  It was simply amazing
how clear, sharp, and up-close these binocs could get one to nature.
The "Wow!"s could be heard all across the bog.  If I ever lost these,
I'd order a replacement set the same day.  Reasonable price, simply
outstanding results.
    OM content:  I blew a 100' roll of 16mm movie film on the bog copper
butterfly, using the OM 135/4.5 macro lens on the Bolex EL.  Now I'll go
back for the sundew plant.
Dean