[OM] ZD 50-200mm Bokeh (was The rattlesnake)

Subject: [OM] ZD 50-200mm Bokeh (was The rattlesnake)
From: wiliam Wagenaar <wiliam@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 10:33:41 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Johan,
I enjoyed your animals set quite much. Looking at this one (and some others but
not this obvious) made me think though:
http://www.thufa.net/pwgallery/picture.php?/2234/category/2
I see the same bokeh I get when I use my ZD 50-200mm when shooting birds.
Looking at the provided EXIF data I saw it was taken at 200mm. So I guess it is
also taken with that lens, correct? Am I the only one that doesn't care for the
bokeh of this lens to much? To me the bokeh of branches just OOF just looks
plain awfull with this lens (Not only on your photos, Johan. I dislike it most
on my own photos) So I would like to know some things of the list members:
- Does the new SWD version of this lens show better bokeh?
- Will the SWD version focus quicker when used with an E-1?
- Has anyone of you owned/used both and how do they compare?
If both first questions are answered with Yes, I will definitely consider
selling my old lens and getting the new version.
I know it will focus quicker on the E-3 and this combination will also focus
better in low light. I think I will want the new lens anyway, but I just
haven't decided on how bad I want it. Seeing the prices the old version goes
for here, I think I can sell mine locally and buy the new version off ebay for
less than a hundred euros more. I might not even wait untill I have the E-3 (or
E-4 for that matter. I expect some action from Olympus at that front just
around Photokina. Not based on anything more scientific than my gut though).

Thanks in advance,
Wiliam