[OM] Re: How high's the water, was: Re: E3 Firmware Update

Subject: [OM] Re: How high's the water, was: Re: E3 Firmware Update
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:12:05 -0700 (PDT)
Larry, I'm not sure what type of axe you're trying to grind here, but let me
remind you that we've had 500-year floods here about every twenty years this
century in the midwest.

The definition of a 500-year flood does NOT mean a flood that occurs every 500
years. It means that there is a 0.2 percent chance of a flood of this magnitude
occuring in any given location each year.  The media doesn't have a clue how to
say that--besides it doesn't sound quite so sexy.

Global warming causing this?  Possible, but highly unlikely.  These floods
occured because the jetstream didn't behave as it typically does every other
year.  It normally takes 2-3 weeks for the storm track to pass through Iowa on
the way northward, but this year it is taking 2-3 months.  Last year this storm
track took just a few days to traverse Iowa.  Next year, it will be just fine
too--if we even get rain.

But if you want to blame it on Bush, go ahead.  I just can't figure out how
somebody that stupid could figure out how to alter the weather patterns and
cause hurricanes, tornados and floods.

AG