[OM] Re: autofocus in scanner

Subject: [OM] Re: autofocus in scanner
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:50:59 -0300
This can be diagnosed looking at the edges of the scanned files
specially when it consists of a solid color: you can see the pixels
getting blurred at 200% to 400% enlargement. I found this more often
with 20 years old Ektachromes.

Also, the N 4000ED performs 'Autofocus when film is inserted', but if
you press the focus control some minutes after insertion the number
which measures focus varies, sometimes only by one unit but sometimes
can be up to three units (related to temperature inside the scanner ?)
Last, mount thickness is a factor which I became aware of when working
with cardboard or different brand name of plastic mounts, and obviously
when using the adapter for negatives.

HTH

Fernando.