[OM] Re: Choice of photo, was Advice sought on ...

Subject: [OM] Re: Choice of photo, was Advice sought on ...
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 21:44:47 +0100
Thanks, John.

I'm supposed to be going up to Anglesey for a trip in a Hawk Mk1,
how's that?

And here's a photo taken of me and my squadron commander after my
first solo in a Hawk, in 1977.

http://web.mac.com/zuiko/work_photos/Hawk_Solo.html

It was a brand new acquisition by the RAF and I was on the first
course to be taught fast jet flying in the lovely little beast.  I was
the first ab initio student (i.e. non-experienced pilot) to be cleared
to fly solo on it.  The first solo trip was around Anglesey and it was
unofficial, but traditional, for the pilot to fly it as fast as he
could down the Menai Straits.

I remember that there was a stop on the airspeed indicator at 500
knots and my needle was hard up against the stop for the leg down the
Straits ...

Ah! Halcyon days!

Chris