[OM] Re: Advice sought on additional lenses for my E-510

Subject: [OM] Re: Advice sought on additional lenses for my E-510
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 20:36:36 -0400
My wife (and I assume 98% of the rest of the viewing audience) never
sees what I consider technical flaws in my photography.  In the sequence
I posted earlier today where the young marine was cutting the yellow
ribbon off the maple tree I didn't realize it was about to happen and
had removed my flash which I was using for fill.  The entire scenario
was shot in dense shade with full afternoon sun in the background and
dappling the white house and all the participants.

The lad's grandmother (the lady in the red and white) was anxious to see
the shots immediately after I downloaded the card to my laptop.  I was
reluctant to show them since I knew they would need extensive exposure
adjustment in ACR to bring the shadows and highlights into line.  I
expressed some reluctance to show the raw images but didn't tell her why
I didn't want to show them yet.  But she was so excited and so
persistent I did show them.

As we were going through them all *I* could see was the deep shadows
blotting out everyones features which was competing with the near blown
highlights.  All *she* could see was that her grandson was very happy
and beaming from ear to ear on every shot which made her ecstatically
happy.  The images I posted today have been exposure corrected as much
as I could.  She saw them last night and I don't think she noticed one
bit of difference.  She still sees only the smiles.

Chuck Norcutt