[OM] Re: External drive question

Subject: [OM] Re: External drive question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 12:08:38 -0400
Assuming that one logical drive would be used much more than another or
that usage might tend to alternate between them there would likely be
some small performance advantage obtained by dividing the directory data
content in half and also restricting the read head's movement (in most
cases) to 1/2 the surface area of the disk.  But, given a fair amount of
memory for a cache, I don't think it would amount to much in actual
usage.  I would base the decision on whether it makes sense to your work
flow and intended usage of the disk.  Personally, I'd keep is as a
single logical disk to minimize the admin effort.  But that would
require another 1TB disk for backup.  Maybe you'd prefer to divide it
and back up to two smaller disks.

Chuck Norcutt