[OM] Re: Impressive Image, E-510 and 14-54 Lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Impressive Image, E-510 and 14-54 Lens
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 08:02:00 -0400
I don't know what Moose actually did but, knowing Moose, I'm sure he
used layers to do it.  However, I'm also sure that what was done (or at
least a similar effect) can be accomplished without layers.  I'm sure
that PSE  must support the "lasso" tool for selection.  Just use the
lasso to select the background parts of the image and then reduce the
brightness and contrast of the background followed by applying a little
blur.

When using any of the selection tools you start by making an initial
selection which you can then refine by switching the mode to either add
or subtract from the initial selection.  Since many parts of the flower,
leaves and stems are bordered with black the selection does not have to
be very precise.  But where the lighter brown and gray bits touch the
flower parts be sure to include all of the lighter bits in the selection
or the transition points will be obvious after you reduce brightness and
contrast.

Chuck Norcutt