[OM] Re: Low cost backup

Subject: [OM] Re: Low cost backup
From: Robert Burnette <r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 14:41:25 -0400
There is a caveat mentioned in the Wikipedia article regarding the -R versus +R
media and the ability of some older players to handle the +R format.

"As of 2007, the market for recordable DVD technology shows little sign of
settling down in favor of either the "dash" or "plus" formats, which is mostly
the result of the increasing numbers of dual-format devices that can record to
both formats; it has become very difficult to find new devices that can only
record to one of the formats. However, because the DVD-R format has been in use
since 1997, it has had a five-year lead on DVD+R. As such, older or cheaper DVD
players (up to 2004 vintage) are more likely to favor the DVD-R standard
exclusively, and when creating DVDs for distribution (where the playing unit is
unknown or older) the DVD-R format would normally be preferable."

Shouldn't make a difference with newer devices.

Robert: