[OM] Re: E510 with saved settings problem.

Subject: [OM] Re: E510 with saved settings problem.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 01:38:03 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> They are mobile computers but the camera companies have yet to realize it.

I think they realize it and are scared that too many of use will do so.
Think of the repair/warranty issues. Most users don't think of them as
computers, so expect the manufacturer to be responsible for all aspects
of operation.

Imagine if you went to Dell to complain about a problem in some
shareware you downloaded? But with cameras, that's what would happen.

The original 300D hack was a little scary in that it replaced int
in-camera firmware completely. Fortunately, Canon's system meant one can
simply reload the original version. Never have have any trouble with it.
If it suddenly weren't there, I'd think the camera was broken. :-)

The current CHDK firmware add-ons are less potentially troublesome for
users. They are loaded from card storage each time the camera is started
and never alter the existing firmware. From Canon's point of view,
though, such things must be scary. Think of parts damaged through
mistaken commands/timing, with no clues left as to the cause.

Moose