[OM] Re: E510 with saved settings problem.

Subject: [OM] Re: E510 with saved settings problem.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 01:28:25 -0700
Ian Manners wrote:

> It already has the latest firmware, and yes it sounds to me like a "software"
> problem.
That sounds iffy to me, but I don't know how Oly firmware upgrades work.

For Canon, the update is the whole firmware, not patches. So if Oly is
the same, reloading the firmware should correct any "software" error(s).
Patches should probably do that, as well.

It can hardly be in the firmware as it comes from Oly, or there would
have been many complaints and a revision would be issued.

The only logical conclusions I can see are:

- Something bad in the memory hardware corrupting the code in specific
memory locations.

- Something wrong in another hardware part. Possibly in the memory that
remembers settings. A little hard to imagine what other sort of hardware
error would lead to only those specific symptoms.

- Operator error. No personal accusations; this is just following the
logic. I gather the Oly menu system is complex and deep and the
documentation terse, at best.
> I'll see whats said re warranty/whatever, assuming you can back level or
> force a new update and if thats what the problem actually is.
>
> I keep thinking of cameras as mobile computers but not having in depth
> knowledge of the creation/production process I'll keep my views open :-)

They certainly are that, but pretty specialized and not generally open
systems. :-)

Moose