[OM] Re: Interesting outdoors/underwater p/s : stylus1030

Subject: [OM] Re: Interesting outdoors/underwater p/s : stylus1030
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 00:08:53 -0700 (PDT)
To get this back to rugged outdoors camera ,instead of generic P/S....

The specs look pretty good for this Oly camera for rugged outdoor,throw it in
your
pocket/backpack/climbing/skiing use.
Things that are important to me for adventure use:

***** very pocketable as it is in a flat format unlike some otherwise good p/s:
     3.7"W x 2.4"H x 0.84" D (93.6mm x 60.9mm x 21.3mm)
***** Really waterprooof can use in rain/snow/sleet/underwater/rafting/river
trips (unlike most
p/s)
*** widish lens (to28mm equiv), although would be better if wider still
*** low wt 6oz/170gm without battery/card so wild guess 8-9oz??? with Li-ion
battery.
***Freezable like in Denali climbing trip! operates at -10C, should be good to
go especially if
carried inside, inside jacket pocket.
*** 220lbs : you can safely sleep on it/sit on it if keeping warm overnight in
sleeping bag!
*** dropable to milstandard spec at 2M
    (this is really good because most p/s have very fragile protruding plastic
lens tubes)
** macro+super macro mode for flowers
** LED focus assist illuminator in macro.
*self timer, for we made it to summit portrait shots
*movie mode for occasional clips on climbing trip.

Cons:
0 small size = slow lens unfortunately.
0 IS mode sounds like it justs boosts ASA ?
  Would be nice to have real IS for one hand shooting, while belaying etc
0 no optical viewfinder, means one can't hold camera against head while
framing/shooting, to
reduce camera shake like with a brightline viewfinder.
0 the con of light wt, is it is more prone to camera shake

Unfortunately steves digicams did not do a very detailed review of lens/sensor
performance. The
"outdoor performance" is about as close as they got:

Outdoor image quality was very good. The camera produced good overall exposures
and colors, doing
better than many of the models we have tested lately when shooting against a
cloudy sky. The 3.6x
wide angle optical zoom lens, with a 35mm equivalent of 28-102mm, creates more
barrel distortion
on the wide end than you will see from a camera with a standard zoom lens.
However, it offers a
bit more versatility in composing your shots, and is excellent for taking
landscape and group
portrait photography. There is also enough of a zoom to help with framing of
individual portrait
photography. There is also some edge softness, but chromatic aberrations are
well controlled.
<<<
For an expedition you would need to bring a solar charger for basecamp and
carry a spare battery
and SD card.

Tim Hughes