[OM] Re: OT $4 a gallon gas

Subject: [OM] Re: OT $4 a gallon gas
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 07:14:35 -0700 (PDT)

John,

Your mileage gets that bad when you switch to winter tires?

Garth,

Is this a TDI model?

I have a Golf K2 edition with 2.0l engine (declared a total loss by a mean
insurance agent a couple of weeks ago...:(  I was never able to better the
advertised 31mpg on the highway.

I assume that a car sporting the VR6 would have worse mileage .  Did you
makeany modifications to it?

Boris (checking your numbahz while looking for a new cah...)

Subject: [OM] Re: OT $4 a gallon gas From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[1]>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 09:58:50 -0600 John Hudson wrote: >Garth
................ but what's your mileage per gallon ? >>Yesterday I changed
over from winter to sumers tires and expect to get an >extra 7 to 10 miles a
gallon on the summer rubber. >>I can't complain at close to 45mpg in the
cityand ~60 on the highway. John: About 43 MPG (around 6.6 litres/100km)
highway, typical summertime. It's a V6, after all. Mileage (er,
"kilometreage"?) is worse in the city, and of course, worse with the winter
tires. Not to mention the thick-as-cement lubrication from winter
temperatures. ;-) I've never gotten better than around 5 litres/100km (about
57 MPG) on the highway, under absolutely *ideal* conditions (dead flat, dead
straight, summertime and all-season radials, no headwind, and no surrounding
traffic so's I can use the cruise control). As the vehicle ages, its fuel
efficiency slowly drops. But after crunching the numbers (the curse of being
an MBA majoring in Finance and Management Science), it's still much more
economical to keep the car than sell it and buy one that's more
fuel-efficient (but not by that much). Eventually, the spousal unit and I
shall retire the vehicle and, as is appropriate for our advancing ages and
changing needs, buy another, probably much smaller, one. As long as it's
ergonomic -- I refuse to drive a car that's hard on the back or bum,
regardless of its fuel efficiency. 8^> Garth

now.[2]

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:garth@DOMAIN.HIDDEN
   2