[OM] Re: OT $4 a gallon gas

Subject: [OM] Re: OT $4 a gallon gas
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 07:26:45 +1000
In Australia we're self-sufficient - I think we trade some oil to get
the grades we need. However, in order to encourage exploration and
all the other social positives such as a solid excise revenue, we
have what is quaintly called 'parity pricing' - the cost is set at
world prices regardless. Consequently I'm paying AU$1.35-$1.50 per
litre at present which translates to around $5 per US gallon on a bad
day. A lot better than Europe but then it's pulled out of the seabed
a couple of hundred kilometres from here dammit. That's why I prefer
to run my main car on LPG which comes from the same source - butane/
propane. When I say gas, I mean GAS. About $1.80 US gallon with about
an 85% equivalent energy yield with a good tune. Doesn't hurt at all.
And it's a hell of a lot better environmentally.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx