[OM] Re: List of Camera Features

Subject: [OM] Re: List of Camera Features
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:53:48 -0500
> 1.  Live view
>
> 1.  Flip-out rotating LCD

This will severely limit your choices, but without it using LV can be
challenging.

> 1.  Good dynamic range
>
> 1.  Remote control
>
> 1.  Access to battery compartment while on tripod
>
> 1.  Ability to magnify RAW images during preview
>
> 2.  Environmental seals
This is a feature usually limited to the most expensive cameras, but should
be standard on all.

> 2.  Ablity to capture clean images at higher ISO’s or longer exposures
>
> 2.  Movable cursors for autofocus/ spot metering
>
> 3.  Manual focus magnification
>
> 3.  Minimum pull-down menus
>

> Good to have:
>

> Image stabilization

No sure but what I would move that to the top.

> Sensor cleaner if DSLR
>
> Quick low-light autofocus
>
> Sensor shift to control perspective distortion
>
> Waterproof
>
> Shock/drop resistant
>

> Don’t care:
>

> Viewfinder
Rethink this. A tunnel isn't so hot.

> Face detection
>
> JPEG
>
> In-camera noise reduction and sharpening
>
> Multiple auto-focus points
>
> Image color effects, such as:  vivid, B+W, etc...
>
> Modes, such as: Portrait, sports, food, etc...
>
> Movie mode
>
> Live histograms and such are pretty useless
Live histogram isn't always so hot, but seeing it with the review is great.
Otherwise, most of these don't care features are the result of too much
interaction between marketing prople and engineers, none of whom are more
than casual family snapshooters.

Bill Pearce