[OM] Re: Nikon DX 18-200/3.5-5.6G on film

Subject: [OM] Re: Nikon DX 18-200/3.5-5.6G on film
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:10:33 -0700
Mark Dapoz wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>
>> Since the 4/3 mount and OM mount have basically the same diameter it would
>> have been quite possible to include a mechanical stop-down mechanism in the
>> design...
>>
> I think it's more than that.  In the OM's the upward movement of the mirror
> is what triggers the lens stop down lever.  There's a large amount of tension
> on the mirror frame in order to have enough enegy to move the levers in those
> large OM lenses.  I can't imagine the tiny E-system mirror having enough
> oomph to push the lens lever as it moves up....
I'm not sure about Chuck, but if I had written what he did, 'mechanical'
would have applied to the mechanism already in the lenses, not to the
means of activating it. The E series are electro-mechanical, and I
assume a solenoid (Already used in OMs starting with the OM-2) or motor
would be used on the camera end of such a design.

Also, on another part of this general thread, I agree with Johann, that
there are no significant technical barriers to creation of an OM=>4/3
adapter with auto stop-down. Someone suggested it might require chips in
lenses, but that's not necessary. A processor and input device, knob,
slider, whatnot, on the adapter could handle that. In addition to
bringing Auto diaphragm to bodies other than the E-510 & E-3, it would
result in focal length in the EXIF and might be easier than making the
menu selections for IS adjustment on the E-510 & E-3.

The problem isn't technical, but economic. I can't imagine the market
supporting enough volume to turn a profit on the development and tooling
costs.

Moose