[OM] Re: Long Lens for Yellowstone

Subject: [OM] Re: Long Lens for Yellowstone
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:10:25 -0700
I think generally that the equivalent of a 500 mm lens on a 35 mm
camera and a sturdy tripod is recommended for wildlife. If you have an
autofocus camera with the usual small aperture on your zoomed out lens
a teleconverter will probably cripple your ability to focus. For
example if your 50-200 is 5.6 when fully extended it is already at the
aperture limit for autofocus to work properly.  As someone said there
are plenty of opportunities for shots of animals up close at
Yellowstone. Not so wild wildlife. So my recommendation is not to buy
anything new and just go and enjoy yourself.

The old adage for wildlife is that you always need 300mm more than
what you have.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA