[OM] Re: Zuiko 24-40mm f4 has arrived

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 24-40mm f4 has arrived
From: Paul Yates <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 10:44:29 -0400
Andrew,

Thanks so much for all the hood ideas. I think I'll try to find the 24/2
hood. I have a genuine metal hood for the 28/3.5 that I might try with a
step-up ring, though I suspect it'll cause vignetting. I really must
have an Oly hood to go with it. :)

None of that can happen, of course, until I repair the filter ring. I
already have my eye on a few of those "reverse vice" tools that are
specifically designed for repairing the rings. I figure it is worth the
investment, as I am getting more and more into doing my own lens
repairs, conversions, etc. Luckily, the threads are not mangled so it
seems that the repair should be relatively simple.

The clamp-ons are a decent option, but I want to get into the lens
anyway and attempt to clean up the haze, so the filter ring repair is a
must and it will allow me to put the 24/2 hood on it.

Part of me would prefer to send this lens to John (of Zuiko.com) as I
know he would not only do a perfect job but also derive great pleasure
from working on the lens. It's just that I'm feeling very much like
Gollum with this lens.

"My precious!"

The other option would be to take it to International Camera Repair here
in Toronto and have them correct the ring "while I wait". I really
cannot imagine leaving it there alone.

"One Lens to rule them all, One Lens to find them, One Lens to bring
them all and in the darkness bind them."

-Paul