[OM] Re: [Leica] IMG: Scooter love - THANK YOU and some answers

Subject: [OM] Re: [Leica] IMG: Scooter love - THANK YOU and some answers
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 08:24:29 +0100
The response from these 4 lists to the scooter photo has been
absolutely overwhelming. While I usually thank each person who
comments on my work individually, there are just too many of you this
time :-) I really appreciate the kind words.

Some people have asked questions, so let me answer them collectively.

The street was a rather narrow street near the beach. I parked my car
to pick up the pizza. As I was parking, I saw this couple across the
street and decided that I needed a picture of them. Obviously in this
kind of situation you don't ask, you just do it discreetly and
quickly. I took the camera (Oly E3) out of its bag. It was already
set for ISO 1000 from earlier in the evening, and also had the right
lens mounted, the 25mm 1.4 PanaLeica. I snapped two pictures without
even raising the camera to my eye, and then went inside the pizza
place. There were a lot of other teenagers and young people hanging
around, and I did not want someone to alert the couple of the scooter
that there was some guy taking pictures of them, although I do not
believe it would have been a big problem.

The high ISO and the lens at f1.4 allowed a good shutter speed,
something like 1/160 I think (it is all in the exif), and so the
image is reasonably sharp. What I posted is quite heavily cropped,
perhaps 1/3 of the frame.

What appears to be the guy's exposed skin is in fact his undershirt
or underwear, so we are not talking about a crescent moon or
buttcrack here. Incidentally, I do have an amusing buttcrack from the
beach from last Monday, and that picture will most likely feature in
my PAW for this week.

This kind of opportunistic image is why I always carry a camera. When
I walk the dog, I just take the camera around my neck. When I drive
to work, I have the camera bag in the bag seat. We have an
underground car park at our office, so it is safe to leave it there
all day. When we take bicycle rides along the beach, I have the E3
around my neck as well. My motorcycle has a Givi topcase big enough
to carry the camera bag. And so on. The best camera is the one you
have with you at any given moment :-)

Once again, many thanks to everyone for looking and for the compliments.

Nathan