[OM] Re: E-500 and trigger voltage

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500 and trigger voltage
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 22:33:43 -0400
Measure between the contact on the bottom of the foot (positive) to the
negative contacts at either side of the foot inside the groove.  You
will probably have to attach a paper clip or some other small pin to
your probe to get inside the groove.  Wait to read the trigger voltage
until the ready light comes on and then give it another 10 or 20 seconds
... which is when the ready light should really come on.  It's not fully
charged until then and may pick up another 1/4 or 1/3 stop of output
power well after the ready light comes on.

If your 285 is a 285HV it may be around 12 volts.  Very old ones (but
not HV models) could be as much as a couple hundred volts.  If you
bought it new recently it's possible it could be very low voltage.  The
285 was taken off the market for about a year and then re-emerged... at
least at B&H.  I'm not sure they're sold in other stores.  The newly
re-introduced version might be redesigned.

What kind of readings are you getting?  If you're using a $5-10
voltmeter you may not be getting a terribly accurate reading but it
should certainly be close enough to tell you if it's dangerous or not.

Dr. Flash