[OM] Re: OM4t locked up

Subject: [OM] Re: OM4t locked up
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 11:29:18 -0500
Warning, long.  This is an old collection of notes on jammed cameras
from Clint, John, Mark and others

Chuck Norcutt
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 17:35:34 -0500
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [OM] -2s Problems

There's a lever in the bottom of the OM-2s that stops the wind after one
frame.
When it gets greasy, it lets the gears turn when the shouldn't, and that
results
in "crossed gears" -- gear teeth on one gear catch teeth on another
where they
shouldn't, and that jams the camera.  Eventually even "jiggling" won't
work --
only removing the gears to unjam them, and cleaning the lever to prevent
recurrance will solve the problem.

Even though the OM-4/4t/3/3t all have the same mechanism, this seems to be a
problem largely unique to the -2s -- evidentally the -2s factory just
used too
much grease in the first place.

Dave Bulger wrote:

 > Zuiks,
 >
 > Input would be appreciated.
 >
 > I had my beloved -2s jam up on me a coupla years back -- couldn't advance
 > film, couldn't trip the shutter.  Shutter was closed, mirror was
down.  This
 > was despite moving the SS to manual, changing batteries, etc.
 >
 > Sent it to JH for a CLA at which time it was fixed & working beautifully.
 >
 > Gave the camera to a friend of mine recently when the exact same
situation
 > arose.  I noticed a post on the list from someone (Thanks!) re putting a
 > winder on it to see if the winder->camera linkage could be "jiggled" that
 > way.
 >
 > Yup!  It worked.  I now have a correctly functioning -2s to return to
her.

 > Is this a common thang with -2s's?  I seem to recall something about
 > overwinding.  How does this happen, what can be done to prevent, etc?
 >
 > Thanks!

* Dave