[OM] Re: infinity focus on the 12-60

Subject: [OM] Re: infinity focus on the 12-60
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 08:06:16 -0500
If it won't autofocus on the sky just pick some very distant bright
light at least as far away as the hyperfocal distance.  At 60mm and f/4
the hyperfocal distance is approx. 180 feet.  But I assume you're more
likely to be using 12mm and f/2.8 or f/4 where the hyperfocal distances
are, respectively, only 11 feet and 8 feet.  Not to worry.

I don't have any DOF calculator that allows going past infinity but I
suspect you'd have to go a fair bit past infinity before DOF at these
short focal lengths wouldn't be able to take up the slack.  Try racking
it all the way in manually to or past infinity at 60mm and f/4 and then
shoot something at least a block away.  Then shoot the same subject
under autofocus.  I'll bet you can't tell the difference even pixel
peeping.  At focal lengths less than 60mm it will be even much less
critical.

Chuck Norcutt