[OM] Re: OT and apropos of nothing whatsoever...

Subject: [OM] Re: OT and apropos of nothing whatsoever...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 07:47:29 -0500
Ah, yes.  Governments and conservation areas.  The Boston area house
that I just sold last year had one acre of conservation wetlands
attached.  The covenants that I was had to sign required that I maintain
the drainage from the small pond and streams feeding it (hidden behind 5
meters of impenetrable thorny brambles) while at the same time
forbidding me to cut down any native vegetation or to even enter the
property without approval from the town council.  Then, when I went to
sell the house after 11 years, the prospective buyers attorney
discovered that I did not have clear title to the conservation area
because the town planning board had not approved wetland related surveys
that were never completed because no one from the town had ever told me
of the requirement... despite the fact that I had inquired whether all
requirements had been met.  That occasioned a delay of a couple of
months to get the survey work completed and approved during which the
buyer decided he wasn't going to wait and backed out of the sale.  It
took some time to find another buyer and ultimately cost me $60,000
because of a declining real estate market.

Governments and conservation areas... you have my sincerest sympathy.

Chuck Norcutt