[OM] Re: E-system accessories

Subject: [OM] Re: E-system accessories
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 15:52:51 -0500

Have dealt with magic_trigger for the cheap yabe slaves.? One receiver failed
at an inopportune time and they replaced it w/o any hassle.?

e.g. see item 130199385863

Rumor has it that Radiopoppers may be here soon and will even do TTL wirelessly
(for some). (I Don't think Dr. Flash is listening on Fri PM these days,)
http://www.radiopopper.com/blog/

Radiopopper Jr. for 25 bucks or so will trigger sans TTL signal?over
substantial distances prolly from Dr. Flash's abode to Moose's backyard.

http://www.radiopopper.com/model_jr.php

Well, all still vaporwear for now.? They are awaiting FCC certification and had
some production hold-ups.? I'll use yabe slaves for now but I wouldn't even
think about?an expensive ?Pocket Wizard.

Mike

For anything more than 18" away I always use a radio slave even in the
studio.? No need to have wires you can trip over.? I recommend this item
<http://cgi.ebay.com/16-Channel-Wireless-Radio-Slave-Flash-Trigger-RD616-new_W0QQitemZ320218731122QQihZ011QQcategoryZ30086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
the "RD616") but don't know this seller (there are lots of them).? Note
the detailed list of contents which includes a 12" PC sync cord which
can be important for certain connection arrangements.? Some vendors do
not include this cord.? You will also need some means of connecting
either the 1/4" or 1/8" studio type plugs to a hot shoe connection for a
portable flash.? It can be done with a Radio Shack 1/8" (female/female)
connector and the above mentioned 12" PC sync cord plus an ebay PC to
hot shoe adapter.? If using direct flash with a hot shoe connection in
addition to the remote lights you will need another PC sync cord to
connect from the camera's PC connector to the transmitter.? If in the
studio or other relatively confined space you only need one transmitter
and receiver.? You can easily equip any other flash with an inexpensive
optical slave which will be triggered by the flash of the radio
controlled unit.? Of course, if you're using a hot shoe flash in the
studio (not recommended, get the flash off the camera), you don't need
any radio slave if you also have optical slaves.

Caution: some very low voltage flash units may not be triggered by the
cheap radio slaves.? Test when you get them and also test for maximum
range.? Inexpensive design/construction means very wide variation in
capability but they are very cheap and you can buy and try several.
Little risk if you're shooting only in a studio.? May not work well if
you want to reach 100 feet.

Dr. Flash

http://webmail.aol.com